Remember the powerful slogan ‘Because I’m worth it’? From the stunning L’Oréal advertisement featuring Aishwarya Rai?
Two decades later and the transformation of the present-day woman is well underway. From acknowledging her ‘self-worth’ to the belief in her ‘relevance’, women are altering their worldviews across both work and home. And this collective power is making organizations regard female employees as the new force to be reckoned with.
Naturally, celebrating International Women’s Day has never been this important! And when employees across genders expect each successive International Women’s Day celebration to grow in purpose and engagement, the hunt for relevant celebratory ideas only grows tougher.
Here are 5 useful ideas to make the celebration of International Women’s Day both meaningful and fun for your women employees:
If you have the budget, here are some great books to gift your women employees on International Women’s Day.
- ‘The ‘Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother’ by Amy Chua — For the working Asian mom battling everyday parenting daemons.
- ‘BECOMING’ by Michelle Obama – A journey of deep reflection by Michelle Obama in never giving up on herself or others as she rose to become the First Lady of USA and beyond.
- ‘Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead’ by Sheryl Sandberg – Sandberg’s actionable tips for women to succeed makes this book a real keepsake.
- ‘I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings’ by Maya Angelou – Angelou’s compelling experiences as a woman of color and her courageous disentanglement from her situation, strikes a chord across generations.
- ‘You Can Heal Your Life’ by Louise Hay – An irresistible book by Hay that details the metaphysical causes of bodily illness and the need to approve or affirm one’s self to get extricated from illness.
Arrange a Women’s Networking Event
Organizing a women’s networking event provides an avenue for a large number of female employees to network with senior female leaders and be inspired by them. Research by the renowned social psychologist – Nilanjana Dasgupta (University of Massachusetts), indicates that women are more successful when they witness female peers in the workplace, and more so when senior women leaders connect with them and inspire them to aim higher.
Enable them to focus on their health
Gift them a fitness club/workshop coupon or even vouchers for Zumba dance classes that will help them take care of their health.
Screening truly exceptional TedTalks inspires female employees. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (author, writer), Susan Cain (Author of the book ‘Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking’), Amna Al Haddad (female weightlifting athlete), Gretchen Craft Rubin (Author, Speaker, Blogger), Angela Lee Duckworth (Author of the book ‘Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance’) and Sheryl Sandberg (COO, Facebook) are a few great communicators who have something important to share.
Workshops on Networking, Managing relationships, Assertiveness, Grooming, Financial Literacy, and aspirational-related themes are beneficial for most female employees scrambling to stay afloat in their careers.
For more information on KelpHR’s workshops tailored for women employees and our other DEI offerings and webinars contact our advisors at +91-9500129652, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Over the decades, International Women’s Day has evolved as a powerful event that celebrates the collective struggles, strength, and potential of women world over.
As it transforms to show a higher purpose, organizations are keeping in lockstep; attempting to look beyond the transactional and instead, trying to celebrate International Women’s Day with deeper meaning.