The Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) has recently issued guidelines for setting up and running crèches under the Maternity Benefit Act, 1961 (MBA). Some Key highlights are:
- Crèche effective from: The provisions of ‘The Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Act’, 2017 are effective from April 1, 2017. The provision of crèche facility (Section 111 A) was effective from July 1, 2017.
- Crèche applicable for: The act is applicable to all establishments employing 10 or more persons and the crèche facility is mandatory for every establishment employing 50 or more employees. (Not 50 Women employees, but 50 employees including contractors and daily wagers like housekeeping etc.)
- Crèche for whom: The use of crèche facility is proposed to be extended to children of age group of 6 months to 6 years of all employees including temporary, daily wage, consultant and contractual personnel.
- Crèche Location: The centre should be near/at the work place site or in the beneficiaries’ neighbourhood, within 500 metres.
- Crèche Timings: In case the establishment has day and night shifts, then the crèche should also be run in shifts.
- Infrastructure/ Space: At ground floor, a crèche centre must have a minimum space of 10 to 12 sq. ft. per child, separate areas for different age groups-under 3 years and 3-6 years, CCTV cameras should only be installed for the purpose of monitoring, etc..
- Monitoring and Supervision: Maintaining records of Admissions, Attendance, Stocks. Also, set up a creche monitoring committee having a representation from the parents, one creche worker, creche in-charge, one admin/HR person. This should be formed for supervision and smooth running of the Crèche.
Given that, the most of the organisations are yet to setup crèche facilities, these guidelines may serve as a reference point for them to frame the Rules
Copy of the guidelines can be accessed here: http://www.wcd.nic.in/sites/default/files/National%20Minimum%20Guidelines.pdf